1893, July 4 - Earliest record of handicap racing by a group of Sodus Point cottage owners.
1893, Fall - Sodus Bay Yacht Club formally organized at a site where Krenzer’s Marina now stands. A.C. Bartle was the first Commodore. Membership was not limited to owners of boats.
1895, August 9 - The Sodus Bay Yacht Club is incorporated as a not-for-profit organization with the primary objectives “to promote and encourage interests in yachts and yachting, to encourage the traditions of yachting, to provide and maintain a suitable clubhouse and facilities for the use and recreation of its members…”
1900 - Original clubhouse and docks were completed at the cost of $2,200, supervised by Commodore Meade and the trustees.
1904 - Miss Rose Williams, racing a Lark, became the first woman in central New York to win a yacht race, crossing he finish line twice in first place, picking a silver cup in the James Holmes race, and tied for third prize overall for the season.
1905 - “Ladies” over the age of 21 were allowed to join the Club as Associate Members upon paying $2.00 in dues.
1907 - SBYC’s application to join the Lake Yacht Racing Association (LYRA) was accepted.
1913 - SBYC recognized by the local community as a major tourist attraction. A promotional piece provides the following quote “Visitors are cordially welcomed to the spacious club home of the Sodus Bay Yacht Club on the south shore of Sand Point. This organization is largely drawn from western New York. The club house is a rendezvous for the members and their families from all points of the Bay.
A commodious dancing pavilion, greatly enjoyed by the members, has been a recent addition.”
1920-1935 - The ailing economy resulting from WWI leads to foreclosure on Clubhouse and property. While there were no facilities, the Club continued and the membership grew from 5 to 39. In 1935, a group of members formed the Sodus Bay Realty Corporation and purchased the Clubhouse and property back from the State. The Corporation then leased the facilities back to the Club.
1922 - Club was forced to give up LYRA affiliation due to drop in membership.
1924 - LYRA event held at SBYC under the flag of the Rochester Yacht Club. Over 100 boats participated.
1934 - C.P.H. Vary, who served as Secretary-Treasurer from 1926-1942, was the first SBYC membership to be given an Honorary Life Membership.
1934 - SBYC joined the Central New York Yacht Racing Association.
1935 - The “Robin”; class was introduced. Designed by Benjamin Wood of Sodus, NY. The fleet grew to 19. SBYC joined the North American Yacht Racing Union.
1938 - SBYC was accepted back into LYRA as a full member.
1958 - Total membership (all categories) grows to 150.
1959 - The 75th LYRA event was held at SBYC; this was the third LYRA held on Sodus Bay. SBYC took on a carnival atmosphere for the event with at least 70 boats moored in the harbor.
1964 &1969 - SBYC hosts the start of the Freeman Cup Long Distance Race which is prelude to LYRA course racing.
1976 - SBYC hosts the LYRA Regatta. The Freeman Cup Long Distance race finished at the entrance to the Bay and two days of course racing followed.
1981 & 1985 - SBYC hosts the start of the Freeman Cup Long Distance Race which is prelude to LYRA course racing.
1986 - Clubhouse undergoes a major renovation; enlarging the bar area and improving bathroom facilities.
1991 - The Challenge Cup Regatta drew a record 45 boats, including 20 J/24s. Stuart Needel on FALCON became the first SBYC sailor to win the Freeman Cup Long Distance race.
1991-1992 - The East Floating Dock System was constructed and installed using member labor. This addition provided 16 new docks for use by the membership.
1993 - SBYC celebrated its Centennial Year. Events included a Winter Ball at Oak Hill Country Club, an Antique Boat Show, and a Centennial Match Race Regatta won by John Swartz on Sea Witch. An additional highlight was SBYC’s hosting of the LYRA Regatta for the 8th time.
1994 - District (7) J-24 Championships held at SBYC. The Club installs a small boat hoist to accommodate a growing number of small boat sailors.
1995 - CNYYRA (Central New York Yacht Racing Association) held its annual regatta at SBYC. At
the same time SBYC was host to the J/24 District Championship. In all over 110 boats participated.
1996, July - SBYC hosts the 8 Metre World Championship
1997 - Through the efforts of Past Commodores Bud Seymour and George Sibley, the Club purchased the boathouse and property directly to the north of the Club. This property was owned by Heidi & Eugene Van Voorhis members of both Rochester and Sodus Bay Yacht Clubs. Upon Heidi’s death and Eugene’s sale of their property on Newark Island, there was no longer a need for the property.
1998 - At the Eastern Yachting Circuit (EYC) meeting in Kingston, Fleet Captain Mike Foley and Rear Commodore Tom Knapp bid to host the Annual EYC regatta at SBYC in 1999.
1999 - The Eastern Yachting Circuit Regatta was held and included a long distance race from Oswego Yacht Club to Sodus Point and three course races. Eric Will and his crew aboard Bushwacker won the Soverel 33 North American Championship.
2000, Spring - Sixteen new floating docks were installed. The project under the direction of Past Commodore Jim Lyles and directed by Docks and Moorings Director, Jim Adolf, was begun in early 1999 and finished in early spring when several “work days” were scheduled to assembled the docks. All 16 slips had been rented during the previous winter so many in the work party were slip holders anxious for their new dock to be in the water.
2000, July - SBYC hosted the prestigious LYRA Regatta for the 9th time. Under the capable leadership of Ed St. George, Past Commodore Chuck Willette as Regatta Race Officer, and a group of dedicated volunteers, the event was a resounding success. From July 31st to August 6th over 125 boats from around the lake participated in this exciting event. For the first time, the Regatta was linked with the Western New York Chapter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. The event became known as the Leukemia Cup Regatta and approximately $15,000 was raised toward the life saving work of that organization.
2001 - The Clubhouse kitchen underwent a major renovation. Workspace was more than doubled, hot water tanks were upgraded for the kitchen and the bathrooms and an office was created for the Club Manager. Erik Will and the crew of Bushwacker successfully defended their Soverel 33 North American Championship at Larchmont Yacht Club, placing first in four of the seven races.
2002 - The Club purchased the Compson cottage and property directly north of the boathouse property. Past Commodore Ed St. George is awarded the Lake Yacht Racing Association’s highest award “THE Blake Van Winckle Memorial Award” for service to the more than 50 yacht clubs in the association. LYRA founded in 1893 is the oldest association of racing yacht clubs on the continent.
2003 - All of the property north of the Clubhouse including the garage, the boathouse and the Compson cottage were torn down making the area available for future club expansion.
2004 - Through collaboration with Skip Shumway, the club acquired four IDEAL 18 sailboats for member use. The property north of the club was modified with a dock for the boats and a work shed to act as a base for the new “SBYC Small Boat Program”. Tom Knapp ran the program, which included one design club racing as well as open sailing, to rave reviews from club members. Through the efforts of Bob Wood and a dedicated group of volunteers, a working Officer of the Day program was established and successfully operated over the entire summer. The highlight of the social scene took place on Labor Day Weekend when Rochester Yacht Club joined us in a three-day Pirate’s Weekend complete with costumes, great food, music, a pirate’s invasion and movies on the lawn in the evening.
2005 - The Small Boat Program continued to be popular with the membership with David Drushler and his wife Nathalie LaRochelle at the helm. After 20 years of Rochester YC wins, the SBYC racers were finally able to bring home the Challenge Cup to the clubhouse, winning it back by a slim 1 point margin. Pete and Leigh Quackenbush and the crew on Moongator won the Best in Fleet trophy at the LYRA Regatta in Youngstown. The season was blessed with good weather and, along with the Lighthouse Race, we saw the return of another favorite “fun race” – the “Bang and Go”. Water balloons and cannons, along with buckets abounded! At the Annual Meeting, Ed St George was recognized with Life
membership for his many years of service to the club and yachting in general on Lake Ontario.
2006 - SBYC hosted both LYRA and the North American 8 Meter Regatta. SBYC also hosted Sodus
Bay Junior Sailing Association’s 50th Anniversary. And SBYC had 10 new members in 2006.
2007 - The Ideal 18’s were purchased and continue to club assets, making the club more attractive to new members. SBYC hosted the EYC as well as the Challenge Cup, while SBYC and SBJSA partnered to host a Laser/Optima regatta. SBYC member and LYRA President MIke Foley is awarded the Lake Yacht Racing Association’s highest award “THE Blake Van Winckle Memorial Award” for service to the more than 50 yacht clubs in the association. LYRA founded in 1893 is the oldest association of racing yacht clubs on the continent.
2008 - SBYC hosted a very successful Centrals Regatta and Challenge Cup. We resolved our property tax assessment issue with the town saving us money. The SBJSA completed their new Educational Building which includes handicapped showers and restrooms that can be used by SBYC
2009 - In addition to our normal racing and social events, SBYC hosted the North American Lightning Championship Regatta for ten days in August. It was an amazing event to host with excellent participation from our membership and to watch as the Women’s, Junior’s and Master’s Lightning racers from all over North America raced on Lake Ontario. A special thank you goes to Tom Knapp, Alys Klingenberg and Ed St. George for Co-Chairing this event. With the purchase of the south end of Irwin Street, and after much planning, the north side of our property under went a much needed facelift with a new walkway and landscaping. The house roof was finally repaired after many years of dripping rainwater in the bar and kitchen. Thank you to Dave Parker and his committee for these two major
2010 - The renovation to the front wall and East Basin saw all of the old concrete removed and new rock filler added before new concrete was poured. The new water and electrical lines were embedded into the new concrete and new power and light towers are being installed which will complete the project. A great turnout of volunteers made this project a success. The Annual Challenge Cup Regatta saw 31 boats of all sizes participating in the two-day event. A round of applause goes to Fleet Captain Mike Thurley with help from Rear Commodore Pete Quackenbush for planning such a successful regatta. SBYC and SBJSA also hosted the Centrals Regatta for small boats with 68 boats competing during the regatta.
2011 - A good year for the House financially and in participation, as private parties and member special events (Lobster Fest, Pig Roast, Clambake, Cuban Night) boosted attendance. SBYC Challenge Cup racers were successful in winning back the Challenge Cup trophy for SBYC.Ideal 18 participation was high, culminating in a well-attended and spirited Ideal 18 “Poker-Run” Fun Race. The adjacent Pier Point property was purchased by SBJSA. An easement will be given to SBYC to construct a much needed wave break system on the newly purchased property. Plans for an Adult Learn to Sail Program beginning in 2012 were initiated.
One of the Oldest Clubs on Lake Ontario
1893-1895 A.C. Bartle
1896-1900 S. Meade
1901 A.L. Foote
1902 C.P.H. Vary
1903 J.S. Sheffield
1904-1905 F.J.B. Lefebvre
1906 H.B. Rogers
1907-1909 F.L. Wilson
1910 C.T. Bloomer
1911 H.M. Doubleday
1912 R.A.S. Bloomer
1913 S.E. Comstock
1914 C.F. Garfield
1915 F.L. Wilson
1916-1922 E.F. Brewster Jr.
1923 R.A.S. Bloomer
1924 S.E. Comstock
1925-1926 P.E. Emerson
1927 L.K. Stuart
1928 P.D. Newton
1929 W.C. Bloomer
1930 T.S. Knight
1931 P.V. Fortmiller
1932 H.C. Bloomer
1933 C.R. Clark
1934 R.W. Comstock
1935 G.B. Parsons
1936-1937 L.A. Gilbert
1938 H.V. Swartz
1939-1940 L.K. Stuart
1941-1942 W.G. Croucher
1943 P.E. Emerson
1944-1945 J.D. Welch
1948 R.C. Rupert
1949 K.C. Collier and T. Paton
1950-1951 E.E. Marsh
1952-1953 E.J. Pammenter
1954-1955 J.G. Donaldson 1956 G.P. Smith
1957 L.J. Short
1958 H.W. Fogarty
1959 C.W. Stuart
1960-1961 H.E. Bush
1962 E.W. Sohmer
1963 E.P. Seymour
1965-1966 K.L. Robie
1967-1968 A.B. Hosford
1969-1970 G.P. Sibley
1971-1972 A.C. Hagen
1973-1974 J. Laird
1975 G. Alley
1976-1977 B.D. Ives
1978-1979 E.H. Wheeler
1980 K.H. Eaton
1981 J.S. Dennis
1982 H.L. Willard
1983-1984 M.A. Polster
1985 J.M. Lyles
1986-1987 C.F. Willette
1988-1989 C.E. Wentworth
1990-1991 E.L. St. George
1992 J.W. Whipple
1993-1994 A.K. Pizer
1995-1996 B. A. Dahl
1997-1998 R. B. Jones
1999-2000 T.R. Knapp
2001-2002 E. Leroux
2003-2004 A. Klingenberg
2005-2006 R. J. White
2007-2008 J. Hayslip
2009-2010 J. Wickett
2011-2012 D. Parker
2013 J. Hayslip
2014 R. M. Carey
2015 R. M. Carey
2016 R. Crittenden
SBYC Founded 1893
Major Contributing Writer:
The Robin Contributing Writer: